County Seat: Watertown
Square Miles: 688
Formed in 1877, the county was named for a Congregational minister and legislator, Reverend G.S.D. Codington. Watertown was chosen the county seat in 1878. In 1880 Arthur C. Mellette opened a land office in Watertown and became the last territorial governor and first governor of South Dakota. Lake Kampeska, the county's largest lake, is named from a Santee Sioux Indian word for "shining shells," which were formed on the shores of the glacially formed lake in the northeastern section of the state.
The Glacial Lakes Region and the City of watertown are fortunate to have this fine recreational and fishing lake so accessible.