County Seat: Britton
Square Miles: 839
Marshall County, organized in 1885, was named for Marshall Vincent, a native of New York, and one of the first county commissioners. Fort Sisseton was established in 1864 after the Minnesota uprising. The county abounds in lakes - 33 natural and three artificial - and has a rich store of Indian history and legend. Britton, platted in 1881, was named for the general manager of the railroad, becoming the county seat in 1885.
Points of historical interest are Stink Lake, Bad Hollow or Sica Hollow and Prayer Rock Museum. Early towns were Newark, Spain, Hillhead, Marlow, Burch.